View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #77
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
Touch/Touch Glow Comparison

I have been doing a lot of reading during the past year, at least three hours each day. Since I do most of it indoors and at all times of day, the Nook Color and Tablet get the most use. I switch between them either when comparison-reading or if a charge gets low and I wish to continue.

In fact, since both also perform well in bright northern light, they prevail over the Touch outdoors too. The only times I use the Nook Touch is when I must read in direct sunlight.

It occurred to me that the new "Glow" version might allow me to take only one reader wherever I might go or find myself. It certainly would be lighter and smaller than the Touch/Tablet combination I sometimes carry.

As soon as my local B&N had a sample, I took my Touch and made a comparison -- which was interesting and intriguing. First, the Glow, with its light off, had ever-so-slightly less contrast than my Touch; the background color was a little more tan in color; neither were completely white. Second, with the light on, the Glow was much clearer; the contrast was much better -- it was easier to read, hands-down easier to read. I had to have one.

I became the first on the waiting list -- brought it home yesterday, the 30th, and have been running it alongside the 'plain-old' Touch and the Tablet.

I have used my new Glow from full darkness to direct sunlight. With the light on (25-50%), it is completely superior to the Touch -- except in direct sunlight. Direct sun completely nullifies the the advantage of the lighting (at any percentage level) and the slight contrast edge goes back to the Touch. The difference isn't great but does favor the Touch.

If I were going to read exclusively in direct sun, I would stick with the cheaper, simpler and likely more reliable Touch. But who does that? Besides, in every other lighting environment, I found the Glow to be the better reader. It is not perfect though.

At low level lighting (below about 25%) and in the dark, the illumination is uneven: First, there is an understandable brighter band of light just below the LEDs at the top. It is a small difference and I soon got used to it. Just below this band is a darker one. Their proximity makes both more prominent to my eyes. There is also a faint darker area about the size of a quarter (but roughly shaped) on the right side of the screen and about half-way down. Finally, there is a vague, irregular but full width darker area near the bottom. The differences are very slight and I soon forget about them when reading. Although, I shall follow up on this with B&N and let Y'all know what I learn.

The screen of the Glow is sharp and clear in the dark or a dimly lit room (think: watching television). However, there is no way that it can equal the clarity and sharpness of my Tablet under those same conditions. It weighs much less though which can mean a lot when reading in bed. I am not saying that it isn't good in the dark, it is very good in the dark, but, the Color and Tablet are better.

My only complaint is that the display lighting is slightly uneven. I am going to ignore this small detail and keep my new Nook Touch Glow. I am already becoming fond of it and will likely make it my go anywhere reader.

Hope this helps -- Joe Minton

Last edited by Joe Minton; 05-01-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote