View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #36
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
The way I perceive the situation, today we have the technological means to do new things that will benefit all of us (companies and consumers), but are trying to avoid change at all costs.

This is somehow understandable on the part of media companies, which made a living from the (now outdated) status quo. But it is unacceptable that governments try to enforce a business model that isn't socially and technologically feasible anymore, instead of pressuring companies into reaching a new equilibrium where all (including themselves) benefit from the new tools that we possess (i.e., the Internet and associated technology).

Some companies (e.g., Amazon) try to introduce some innovation on a voluntary basis; but (as pointed out by Steven Lyle Jordan) they retreat whenever this reduces, instead of increasing, their profit. This is why I am proposing that innovative laws, forcing companies towards innovation, are passed.
After all, all industries are heavily constrained by laws in their operation, in order to guarantee benefits to the public; and such laws are changed whenever circumstances change. I can't see why media companies should not be subjected to similar pressures.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote