View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #21
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Do you actually expect that?
Given Microsoft's enormously "deep pockets", I don't see the need.
BlackBerry, with their phantastic PlayBook, unfortunately had to go that way. Low sales figures of the tablet due to lack of apps and "not very deep pockets" at that time make for a logic explanation.
But would Microsoft do that? Why not just let the stocked Surface RTs trickle out instead of admitting failure?
If they go for a firesale, they basically admit defeat. Not just of some hardware, but of Windows RT as a whole. They might try to separate Windows RT from Windows 8. But I think, to the consumer the discussions about "decline of the PC market is all Microsoft's fault with Windows 8" would be nourished further.
Personally, I expect Microsoft not putting much effort into Windows RT in the near future anymore. But never openly admitting failure either...
Yes, I actually do expect that. And there is historical precedence for it too.

I'm not talking about a firesale clearance of epic proportions (like the Blackberry Playbook). Just as they did with the Zune and Kin devices, there are numerous outlets that Microsoft will use.

Microsoft uses a "step-down" approach to reduce inventory. The first step is to bundle the device with an accessory. Microsoft just announced that with the Surface RT... buy a Surface RT and get a free touch case or type case cover.

Microsoft will gauge sales and compare it against existing inventory, and based on some predetermined metric, will decide whether or not additional steps are required to liquidate inventory.

I'm looking at a possible November timeframe for the Surface RT to appear on clearance sites like Woot, DailySteals, 1SaleADay, etc. Most likely it will first appear on a Woot-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I never got the bashing against Microsoft.
Yes, they had been close to 100% market share.
Yes, puns such as "total word domination" had been funny and original.
But basically, everyone had do admit:
They understood their business and succeeded in dimensions, all corporates aim for and only few ever achieve.
That's a very rosy picture of reality. Bill Gates (just as Steve Jobs) was a shrewd and ruthless business man. Gates understood the future importance of personal computers and took advantage of the napping "big-iron mainframe" guys to get in. Once in, he shut the door to competition by forcing PC makers to sign exclusivity deals to preload Windows... all-or-nothing.

Microsoft gobbled up smaller companies that had innovative solutions. Oftentimes, buying them up, closing them down, and adding their patents to their massive portfolio.

Microsoft was arguably the first corporation to engage in "astro-turfing"... hiring people to go to online forum communities and say glowing things about Microsoft products while disparaging the competition. These people portrayed themselves to be "objective consumers" and NOT paid shills.

Microsoft engaged in FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Whenever a more nimble company released a new product that leapfrogged a Microsoft offering, Microsoft would respond with press releases and controlled demos of THEIR offering that was only "months away". This had the effect of stalling sales on the new competitive product until Microsoft delivered. But with the speed of the information cycle on the internet, this tactic became less useful. The last time I can recall Microsoft using it was when the iPad was first announced... while many people were poking fun at the name and ridiculing the usefulness of such a device, Microsoft leaked some concept videos of the Courier. That caused the Microsoft faithful to wait and see what would materialize. Of course nothing did.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike not only Microsoft, but Apple, Google, and any other company. These corporations aren't agents of morality, they're soul-less business entities whose sole purpose is profits. Unless I'm a shareholder, I see nothing admirable in these corporations.

But that's just me.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 06-03-2013 at 11:09 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote