View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Perhaps part of the problem is the fact that an entire generation (or two) has managed to get through high and school and college without having to read extensively or write extended essays, term papers, theses, etc. For the most part, students read less and less; unless they are literature majors, they are unlikely to read classic or modern literature of any kind. Here in New York State, high school juniors or seniors take a statewide exam in English to measure proficiency in comprehension and writing. Back in the dim past (early 1970s and before), the big essay question on that exam had to be written on a play by Shakespeare or some such. Today, it can be written about a movie or tv show. Mind you, I'm not suggesting we return to the "canon" of the 1950s - there's fine literature to be found in every genre to interest everyone of any background.

Yes, this is a generalization (and an American one, at that), and yes, there are exceptions, but I don't think I exaggerate in regards to the mainstream. My stepson went to an extremely competitve Catholic school in the late 80s which prides itself on its high standards and traditional curriculum and had to write but one extended paper. My stepgrandchildren live in a very affluent suburb in N.J. with the best possible public school system and don't come close to the reading and writing that my generation did, both in quantity and quality.

I suppose this is an extremely long-winded way of asking how can we expect writers to maintain baseline standards given the general lack of exposure to good writing? Mind you, I'm not talking about content (as in all those dark and stormy nights), but simple grammar and spelling. Ever notice those typos and misused words on tv news zippers, newspapers, and magazines that now appear with frequency?

Sorry for the rant, but like many grouchy old ladies, I wonder where this is all heading. Is it language evolution, devolution, or just too much noise to signal? Oh, and feel free to correct any typos or other errors in the above.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote