View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I can see value in such limited cases. I'm a big Gutenberg reader (read four of its books in the past four days) and haven't found need for notes, but maybe we just have different tastes.
There's no need for notes with any book, but my point is that, without footnotes, you'd have just read the above text, and not had the faintest idea that there was anything behind it other than its apparent description of a family - you'd have missed the entire point of what Trollope was saying, which, of course, his contemporary readers would have grasped immediately. A good set of footnotes will let you get a lot more out of a book than reading it "unaided" will.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote