View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Is it safe to assume that you are already familiar with Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens ... etc etc? I'm currently re-reading Pride and Prejudice and loving it, just went past one of my favourite lines: "There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well."

Almost any list of free epubs will give you quite a good listing of classic historical fiction. I was surprised to find Edgar Rice Burroughs' "The Outlaw of Torn" in amongst a Historical fiction list ... I guess it's strictly correct but never really thought of his writing that way (it's a good yarn, albeit short and very much in the Burroughs' style).

I did a quick search for Ion Idriess, to see what was available as ebooks. Read about him here: http://delarue.net/idriess.htm His work is rather different, mostly quite factual but written almost like fiction. I found some of this books quite hard work but others have been very enjoyable. The only ebook I found was this one: The Red Chief as Told by the Last of His Tribe. As it happens that's one I have not read before so I can't tell you anything about it.

You might also like to try some Robert Goddard, if you haven't already. Many of his books have a strong historical aspect to them. "In Pale Battalions" is still a real favourite but many of his others are very very good too.

I found "The Physician" by Noah Gordon to be very good but I was not been to see it under any ebook searchs - you may have better luck.

One from left-field is "Airman" by Eoin Colfer (he of Artemis Fowl fame). Not sure if you'd really classify it as historical fiction or not, but it certainly has that feel to it. It may have been intended for younger readers, not sure, but I know I enjoyed it - just as I have enjoyed his Artemis Fowl books.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote