View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #63
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

Uploading Lambs made me realize something: There is no provision on the Amazon pages for disclaimers about book content, including language, sexuality, etc (of which Lambs has some). I suppose Amazon isn't overly concerned about what people buy, any more than most US bookstores worry about how appropriate the content is for the purchaser. But it makes you wonder where the limit is, how much Amazon monitors all this unsolicited content, and how Amazon will exercise their right to remove "inappropriate material." Let's see how long it takes before we see mainstream news items about Amazon removing pedophile and neo-nazi literature from its Kindle uploading service...
The 120 Days of Sodom, by the Marquis de Sade

They're not too worried about carrying very extreme print books. I would hope they won't filter the ebooks. After all, no one ever treats digital content differently than print content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Obviously paedophile literature would probably be illegal, but surely you don't think they should remove neo-nazi material, do you? Isn't freedom of political expression a right in the US? One may disagree with the agenda of neo-nazis (and I certainly do!), but (in this country at least) they have a legal right to express their viewpoint, as long as they aren't committing any crimes.
In fact, as you can see by the above book (banned at least in France, if not the rest of Europe), the US has very liberal freedom of expression laws. Paedophile literature isn't illegal - there's very little literature that is, as long as it's in hardcopy print form. What you can write in a book you can't necessarily say on the radio, broadcast on TV, or (they're working on it) publish on the Internet.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote