View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
ade_mcc
ade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Perelman, Yakov - Physics for Entertainment - Copyright Issue in the US?

1st post, please be gentle!

After a long on-going battle to downsize and make space in the house, I justified to myself the benifits of purchasing an ebook reader and two weeks ago, bought a PRS-300.

I downloaded Sigil one week ago and decided to throw myself in at the deep end and convert 'Physics for Entertainment' by Yakov Perelman, a text that I had read a couple of years ago in PDF format. I found that whilst an epub version was available from the same source, that it had been automatically converted and thus contained numerous OCR spelling errors, formatting issues and inconsistent image reproduction.

What I have now is a vastly improved version of the text both spell checked and formatted nicely, plus re-scans of all 155 PDF illustrations.

However, I am fully aware of the potential for breach of copyright issues and so ask for clarification/suggestions.

Am I correct that just because the PDF (and other formats) are available through www.archive.org, doesn't automatically mean that I can upload here?

If it helps, Physics for Entertainment was originally published in 1913 (according to wikipedia) and Yakov Perelman died in 1942.

Given that I am based in the UK, are there other places that I can safely upload?

In the worst case scenario where someone states that I cannot legally upload this document to the internet without breaching copyright, then no worries, I have learned a huge amount of HTML in this past week! I'll just have to work out what the next project will be....
ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote