Thread: PRS-505 Error Message
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If you're using anything, whether it's a computer or a car -- or a carpet ! -- it's important to understand what it's about and how to use it, and at least the basic terminology required to discuss it with the experts. I don't know the yarn and fiber construction of Palette 2000 Fibre Bonded nylon carpet tiles, true, because I've never needed any, but you'd better bet that if I showed up in your store to buy some, I'd have read up enough on the subject to understand what you're telling me about them.

Here in MobileRead, we are a bunch of ebook readers and sometimes computer geeks. What we're not, however, is mind readers or miracle workers. We can't rub our crystal balls and figure out what's wrong with your Sony Reader and/or computer. The only way we can tell you what's wrong is to put together all the information we have about the symptoms of the problem, and the only way we can get that information is to ask you.

Imagine you had someone who wanted to buy some carpet. You ask them how many square yards they need, and they don't know; they don't even know how to measure their room. You ask them what kind of use it's going to have -- will it be in the parlor that must be just for show because nobody ever goes in there, or in the playroom used by five kids and a dog? They're not sure of that either; maybe one or the other, or maybe the back hall. You ask them what color the room is, and whether they want to match it or contrast, and they say they're monochromatic color-blind and have no idea what color it is, but they don't want it to look bad to their friends. Right about this point, you'll probably be thankful that everything in a carpet store has carpet samples all over it, because you'll be banging your head on one of them.

Just like you need to know things about someone's carpet needs before you can even start on suggesting the right kind of carpet for them, we need to know things about your computer, your ebook reader, and the errors you're getting before we can start suggesting what might be wrong and how to fix it.

We're not trying to be confusing -- this is information we need, or we're in the realm of crystal balls and tea leaves when it comes to figuring out what the heck has gone wrong. We want to give you answers, but not only can't we give you valid answers without the necessary information, but if you are as inexperienced with computers as you say, we can't even give you lists of things to try, as we would with a more experienced user. We need to know what we're dealing with to tell you how to fix it, and we need the information mentioned earlier to start forming educated guesses at what the problem is.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote