View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
GrzegorzN
GrzegorzN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Hmmm ... my big question is whether protection from bit rot is something that should be handled at the individual app level, or at the system level.
I second that.

Calibre does not try to scan my PDF/DOC ebooks for viruses and macros, and Calibre does not try to defragment my hard drive to make book access faster. I don't think Calibre should try to offer me so much protection from hardware failures.

I don't think it's Calibre's "core business"... and there are definitely much better (dedicated & tested) tools for that sort of thing. If you want to protect your data and provide redundancy, use some form of RAID, separate media, maybe online storage, and/or existing archive/restore tools. If you're really serious about protecting your data, I think it makes sense to prefer established, supported and above all well and widely tested(!) solutions. The added benefit is that you're then able to protect not only ebooks, but also any other data you consider valuable.

BTW, I think the idea of a "master copy" (or similar) sounds good. I often start with one or two master documents, and then create specific formats from them (seems to be a common pattern for many users), and it might be useful for Calibre to know the difference between the "initial format" and "derived/transformed format". Also, master copies usually offer the best quality, so that might be a hint when picking the source format for conversion/device upload (although that might not be worth the effort).

Last edited by GrzegorzN; 09-11-2010 at 06:44 AM.
GrzegorzN is offline   Reply With Quote