View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
SwiftOne
SwiftOne began at the beginning.

Device: shopping
Picking the right reader for me

I've read ebooks on an old Palm PDA before without (many) problems, but I'm now looking at reducing my dead-tree purchases and have a few new criteria. I've browsed around and gotten a general feel (Looking for the new bookeen reader in Sept/Oct), but I wanted to check with those that have been in the market longer.

(1) My wife doesn't like to read at length off of computer screens. I'm hoping the eink will take care of that (she's willing to give it a shot), but I've never actually seen it in person. Will this help her?

(2) On my wishlist is a text search capability. It seems I'm out of luck without going the PDA route (which leaves behind the Eink option), but I wanted to make sure of that.

(3) One area of interest is Letter-sized PDFs. (We're RPGers, and a lot of the Indie and newer products are available as non-DRMed PDFs) I've heard the current generation of readers handles these poorly...can anyone elaborate? Do you have to scroll? Is it shrunk so you have to zoom? Do they just not work?

(4) I'm a linux user, so open formats and cross-platform capability are really helpful.

(5) I really want some sort of expandable storage. SD is great, but other non-proprietary options are also acceptable.

(6) I could care less about MP3 players. Nice perk, but I'd prefer to drain my batteries through reading

Suggestions?
SwiftOne is offline   Reply With Quote