View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #28
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Having said all of that though, I was a bit confused by the characters in the book that did not seem to represent the repressed English society as I expected. Lucy's family did not seem overly proper to me. Her mother seemed reasonably strong if flighty and her brother had quite a bit of spunk and playfulness. Even the favoured parson did not seem as stiff as I was expecting. Charlotte seemed the odd one out in comparison.

Regards
Caleb
Even though most of the characters had personality, I still think there was a willful insularity or ignorance among them. They didn't really want to think hard about anything or know anything in depth. Admittedly, I don't think I read the novel as closely as you did. I didn't find it invigorating until the last few chapters, so I think a second reading might do me a lot of good. Anyways, thanks for sharing your excellent analysis.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote