View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I do have another question that you (or perhaps someone else here) may have some comment on:

In Australia there seem to be very few avenues for new fantasy writers (only two publishers accept unsolicited works, and so far I've only found two agents that appear willing to represent fantasy authors (looking through their profile and their "stable" of authors)). When I read about authors getting rejected a dozen times or more before finding someone that will accept their submission, it has me wondering where that leaves me. I've already managed rejection from both publishers, and I'm doing the appraisal thing before I try the agents, but if they don't come out then things start to look pretty dismal.

Is it viable for new authors to approach agents in other countries (I was thinking the UK, perhaps, for myself). Or does losing out on my local options leave me, realistically, only with self-publishing?
Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Australia market to provide any useful information...sorry I wished I did. I'm also not sure how difficult it is to start in a non-native country. I know that Pip Ballentyne is I think from that part of the world (or maybe New Zealand I forget). It might be worth dropping her an email - or asking her on her blog or twitter for recommendations - You might try to find other authors that are Australian but have published outside of Australia.

Wish I could be more help - but I don't have much to offer for that situation...sorry.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote