View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
That's interesting, I've heard that CS5 is pretty disappointing in that regard. We probably won't upgrade in a while anyway as we'll have to do it company-wide.

We use Indesign to lay out the paper books, and the last few revisions only exist as Indesign documents and PDFs, so we're pretty much stuck with it. The production path I've devised actually works pretty well for us, usually producing an epub from a press indd takes about 15-30 minutes. I'm thinking about polishing and translating the guide for general consumption as well. It might be useful for someone, and it's in everybody's best interest that people know how to produce quality epubs
That's our situation as well. All the final revisions exist only in the indd file and we want to avoid having to maintain more than one master document.

We are using ID4, which exports the entire book as a single xhtml file in the epub, but with a separate CSS file. We don't use imbedded fonts, because Steve Jobs is upset by them. I then extract the xhtml file, clean it up (e.g. changing class tags such as "heading-56-with-overrides-93" to something like "heading-chapter", adjusting <p> tags that should be <h2> or whatever, adding sigil chapter-break code, dressing up line breaks, etc. (also making corresponding changes in the CSS stylesheet of course). Then re-package the epub, load it into sigil, and do the final formatting and tweaking.

I would also like to see your procedure, if you're willing.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote