View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
It's a little too soon to call it a success. What is it? 2 months old now. There is a ton of them on ebay and the prices are dropping. It was fun for a while but it looks like folks are starting to wonder what they got this thing for ...and some suckers are dumping them now before the rush starts.
My husband is an anti-Apple guy, and even he laughed at your "logic." I was chuckling, he asked why and I told him what you said. His response: "That's a pretty desperate argument."

Millions sold within months of debut. People reselling your product at hundreds over retail. Hardware competitors chomping to unleash rival tablets. Wow, if that's not success, I'm sure many companies would settle for it, lol.

The reason there are so many iPads on eBay now: Many people are selling them over retail to make a quick buck. Some people are selling their wi-fi models to switch to 3G. Some people also might be selling them because they don't like iPad, of course. This is along the lines of my approach to iPad: Buy one early, try it out and, if you dislike it, sell it for profit. If I waited till supply exceeded demand, I would lose money by reselling. Supply is improving, of course, so resale prices are dropping. Who's going to buy a resale if they can get one new for the same price? (A few exceptions include people buying from abroad, who want to avoid tariffs, taxes and such.) Lots of in-demand products are sold that way on eBay, Craigslist and such. Take the Wii on debut, for instance. Try selling a Wii system over retail now. Good luck with that. That doesn't make the Wii a failure. It's simply supply and demand at work.

I fully expect iPad to gain improvements and to see prices drop. I figure you buy something early, you're buying early enjoyment time, is all. I paid $359 for a Kindle more than a year ago. They're about half that price now. Do I regret buying one? Nope. I got plenty of enjoyment out of mine, and have now moved on. If spending on something I enjoy a lot makes me a "sucker," OK, I'm one happy sucker. I'm loving iPad now, and if something better comes along, I'll give it full consideration. Even if Android tablets turn out not to be a good fit for me, I won't begrudge others who like 'em. I'm a happy camper and don't have a problem with people exercising consumer choice, no matter what their choices are. I also support reading in all its forms.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-03-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote