View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post

So.. it looks like I'm back to the drawing board. I know I could order one from Astak, which I probably would have done anyway, but if it's going to be a superceded model before I've even got it, why bother?

I've searched this forum and haven't found anything related to dadirect dropping the V5, can anyone confirm that?

I really don't want to buy a reader before I see the size of the screen. I might have to bite the bullet and just pre-order the Onyx Boox, it won't be here in time for my birthday, but I can live with that.
The Onyx Boox is a 6" screen, whilst the V5 is a 5" screen, so there is a slight difference. The Hanlin V5 (or Bebook Mini or Astak Pocket Pro) has only really been on the market for the last 6 months. I don't think it will be updated anytime soon. Last year we saw a big boost in the number of smaller ebook readers (including the Sony PRS-300). This year it looks like the market will be focusing on large screen readers, and those incorporating touch screen. I highly doubt, especially given the hardware in the V5, that it will be replaced anytime soon.

I don't know why DADirect stopped selling the V5, I have seen rumours that the V3 (this was through the LBook forums) will be getting a hardware upgrade to that of the current V5.

Regarding screen size (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=5) has a couple of pics comparing the V3 to the V5. If it helps the V3 is roughly the same size as a DVD case. From there you may be able to work out the size of the screen. The actual size of the screen is 76mmx102mm.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote