View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #48
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
All that I can say is that after reading the reading the thread the impression that I took from it is that “we’ve found Bookeen has violated the GPL so we’re going to steal the work that they’ve done and defy them to sue us because we’ll sue them back”. The lesson that Bookeen and other companies will take is not “Gee we better honor the GPL”. It will be that you’re better off dealing with Microsoft, their licensing fees and corporate lawyers then the open source community. It will be sad to see Microsoft win the embedded OS space because they’re easier to deal with.

As always just my opinion.
You may be right, sad to say. I don't begrudge Bookeen selling their Boo Reader for a profit. Compared to the likes of the Ebook Reader software one finds on devices like the STAReBOOK, I find the Boo Reader to be quite a nice implementation of a basic Mobipocket ebook reader. I would like to see more device manufacturers settling on one common ebook format.

And dealing with Microsoft doesn't really gain anything as far as locked-into-one-proprietary-format for them because there are plenty of ARM/WinCE implementations of eReader Pro and Mobipocket Reader. If they run on ONE WinCE/ARM platform, they should run on all.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote