View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to be dense, but I'm afraid you've lost me there.

Most of the content of my iPad is video. I drag it directly from Windows Explorer onto the iPad in iTunes; it's never in my PC iTunes library. If I were to subsequently delete that video from its original location on my PC, then from what you're saying, it could not get restored from my iPad backup, because the backup doesn't contain a copy of the video itself, right? That's what I mean when I say that the backup doesn't backup the contents of the iPad.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you.
Ah that makes sense you see no backup can restore a file if you go to the file and delete it!

But your backup data has the location of that file so it will back it up to your iPad. Eg if you delete it from your iPad then you stillhvae another copy, a 'backup' if you will. I u derstand that it's your primary copy but as far as theiPad is concerned the file stored on your pc IS the backup as you can restore your iPads deleted file from it.

When I backup my pc hard drive to an external HD it's the same thing! If I then navigate to the external drive and delete a file the. Of course I couldn't back it up.

Yourcomputer is your backup device for your iPad, if you then delete things from your backup then of course you can't back up.

Basically assuming you don't do that then as of right now your computer contains a backup of everything on your iPad.. Correct? This of course saves you having to have all of your video files stored on your pc twice! Once in iTunes as well as it's original place.

You do have full backup facility it just isn't all stored in one folder, it's all stored on one computer.

Last edited by stustaff; 06-05-2010 at 04:20 AM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote