View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I beg to disagree. That's not a niche market. Who wouldn't find a use for the device like that?

You just described the successor to laptop. We will end up, eventually, with a bendable, likely film-thin device with wi-fi (or equivalent), colour screen, stylus, touch-screen, running the same set of apps found on (powerful) workstations reserved for our stationary work table...

PC, mobility, the next generation. Paperless office.

That's a huge market.

Hard to be a true successor to a laptop as even great hand writing recognition isn't going to replace a keyboard for typing--especially for those of us that do a lot of writing. Even outside of work, e-mail and some web stuff (like this forum) would suck with a tablet with just handwriting recognition or a virtual keyboard).

So really I see myself always needing my office desktop that is my primary work machine for both research and teaching prep--statistical analyses, writing articles, lectures exams etc. My laptop which allows me to do all the same work at home so I don't have to come in every day or on weekends.

And some tablet device to replace reading and annotating which I currently still do with paper books and printouts as PCs and Laptops suck for that IMO.

Maybe a tablet device can replace the laptop if it can be put on a docking stand (or plan stand) and use wireless keyboards and mice.....but that's still clunkier to lug around than a laptop for those of us that do a lot of writing.

What I really want some thing tablet to do is replace paper for my work reading and annotating, ideally replace my Palm Pilot with PDA functions. And have e-mail and internet so I can access them for quick checks when I'm not near my PC or Laptop but have the tablet at hand.

That said, I do think there is a huge market for tablet devices in the business and academic settings--and for anyone who needs a large screen device with good annotation ability.

I just don't see it as a successor to the laptop or PC. Just a complementary device that will replace paper in the professional/academic setting.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 10-28-2009 at 08:24 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote