View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Question Help with unbricking kindle via serial port

Ok, I screwed up bad and bricked my Kindle 2. I was messing with the Kindle system files, trying to get ubuntu to boot, and I know I messed up something in /etc/init.d and the kindle won't boot up anymore. I know it can still turn on by measuring the voltage of various ports, and I know exactly what file I screwed up to brick it. Now the only problem is fixing it. I'm tried to build an TTL to RS232 adapter, but it wouldn't work. I tried to order one from eBay, but that I think the adapter was DOA. Now, I have some questions before I purchase another adapter. Hopefully someone with experiences with the serial port can answer.

1) If you purchased a working RS232 adapter for the kindle, please send me a link.
2) What is the voltage? I measured GND -> VCC on the kindle and got 2.8V. But adapters are either 3V, 5V, or 5.5V. Which one should I buy?
3) Do I need an external power supply (battery)? I see a lot of people doing this. Why (doesn't VCC provide power)? If so, what type of power supply and what voltage? Where do I connect the power supply if it's needed?
4) Is this right? With the kindle facing down, battery towards the bottom, the order of the pads (left to right) is: VCC, Tx, Rx, GND
5) What's the PuTTY settings?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I need to be 100% sure before I try again. I don't want to screw up farther and burn the serial port or something. I tried searching, and all threads dealing with serial port aren't detailed enough for me. Thanks.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote