View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I'd rather pay less, and ignore the adverts. It isn't like TV or radio, where they present a break to the content which can't be skipped.
If we're talking about the print edition, sure. You can just flip the page—annoying but not life-changing. However, advertising on mobile devices frequently takes the form of persistent banner ads, which occupy 10-20% of your screen. I was shocked, and really really pissed, when I discovered that my paid subscription to the NYTimes did not exempt me from seeing these on their mobile app.

I'm willing to pay a premium for ad-free content. I recognize not everyone is, but everyone should still recognize that it's part of the value proposition.
Quote:
Zinio is the answer to both those issues.
The reading app is good on both Apple and Android, and they do regular sales. Currently you can get a 2 year subscription to Newsweek for 36c per issue. (Assuming you trust Newsweek to still be around in 2 years time!)
Sadly, Zinio is not updated yet either, but I'm sure it will be eventually. Good to know about the sales, as the regular subscription prices are higher than those I quoted above.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote