View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question I want to buy a Kindle PW in Japan. (Launched 19 Nov)

Hi all:

I started a similar thread for the Kobo Glo in the other section, cos both of these excellent e-readers are newly launched in Japan on Nov 15(Kobo Glo) Nov 19(Kindle PW).

I'm going to osaka from 3-7dec (in about 2 week's time), and I hope to get myself a unit of either the Kindle PW or the Kobo. But for this thread i'd like to focus on the PW.

Today's article has an announcement on the PW in Japan:

"Kindle launches sales in Japan amid heavy local competition

Published November 19, 2012

EFE

U.S. consumer electronics giant Amazon on Monday began selling its digital Kindle Paperwhite reader in the Japanese market, where it is competing with devices such as the Kobo, the e-reader of the e-commerce company Rakuten.

The Kindle will sell in Japan for between 7,980 yen ($98) for its Wi-Fi version to 12,980 yen ($159) for the one with a 3G cell phone connection.

With a six-inch screen, the Kindle Paperwhite has more than 50,000 novels available for its Japanese version, which has been adapted to reproduce the language's ideograms vertically.

Amazon began on Monday shipping units pre-ordered by Japanese customers via its Web page, while starting on Tuesday the device will also be available in certain major department stores.

The price of the Kindle in Japan has been established to compete with other similar devices, such as the Kobo line, which hit the market in early October selling for about 6,980 yen ($85), and the Lideo model by the BookLive group, which costs 8,480 yen ($103).

Experts say that the e-book market is still in its initial phase in Japan, which with 128 million citizens is one of the largest publishing markets in the world, and it is expected that the market here will experience a significant expansion in the next few years. EFE"

My question is, does anyone in Japan know which department store will carry the PW? (see red highlight above) I know it's a far shot for me to hope to get a unit in the store, since it's a hot item, but to hope is better than nothing..

thanks!!
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote