View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #62
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFReader View Post
As of a few days ago (couple of weeks?) HD-DVD appears to be losing. However, Sony is well established in the video appliance market, and has a lot of experience (Betamax anyone?) in format wars. They DO know how to win.
Betamax is a bad example. As is their proprietary digital audio format, Atrac3/Atrac3+. It is much better than mp3 IMO (and I'm a fan of Sony's music players, which I chose based on the Atrac format and incredible battery life--my NW-S706 gets 50 hrs per charge and songs ripped at 64 kbps sound better than mp3 at 128 kbps).

Nevertheless, Sony DOESN'T seem to know how to win the format wars. I think the very recent BluRay win was their first major one after several failures.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote