View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The New York Times article mentioned a pretty slick idea for an application -- newspapers that are updated with up to the minute content. Currently the newspapers available on the Kindle come as "editions" and the newspaper only gets a 30% cut. By using the KDK they can provide up to the minute content and will get a 70% cut of the profits.
So, essentially, the will let the papers maintain a blog, but they get to keep more of the net (which I assume will be after delivery charges)? Exciting for their accounting dept, sure, but ho-hum from a reader, since they could already do this, if they wished (oh, wait, they already do...).

Some of the restrictions are silly (no VOIP? there isn't a mic, so how would it work, other than attempting to listen to voice mail?). They haven't restricted downloading audio, so I suspect there will be charges for all custom app downloads, at the same rate as personal apps.

And for the person wanting to play DOOM - take heart, it isn't banned (feasible? who need that?).

I suspect that many of the apps we, as readers want, won't be possible, as they will require too low level access (firmware updates), rather than simply live on top of the firmware, as it seemed suggested by their examples.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote