View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that vocalisation is a problem, in that it's forcing the OP to read at the speed he can talk at. Try to force yourself not to "read out loud", and see if that helps.

As with anything else, reading is a skill that improves with practice. The only way to read more quickly is to read more. It won't happen overnight.
I must agree with you that vocalisation kills out not only speed, but comprehension too. Reading only mentally increases the quantity and specially quality of reading.

I disagree altough, Harry, in that it does not come overnight. I attended many years ago an workshop with James Bauer, fastest reader in Portuguese, that promissed three times the current reading speed in three hours of workshop. Well, the totally skeptic I was, it work. I already read a lot at that time, but it was only a matter of technique. Reading more does not necessary makes a better reader, like driving a lot without technique makes a hard-to -change bad driver. Basically, train your eyes to go up and down very quickly and side to side too, 20 seconds of each exercise, like crazy. Then use a slowly progressed metronome (no need to buy one, there are software to do it) in which each "tick" you read a line, with no going back, even if you don't understand the line, forcing yourself to go on.

As I said, I was skeptical, but in three hours many years ago I, an avid reader, got my reading life changed for much, much better.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote