View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Zirowe
Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Zirowe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccsargent View Post
This problem of the bad waveform almost exclusively lies with the 3G models of the Kindle Keyboard (and also with the 3g Kindle Touches). Here is a practical solution to your problem which, although not perfect, works most of the time: (1) Save the old, broken screen that you have removed from a 3G model of K3. (2) While the Kindle is still open, attach the new screen to it and navigate to "Reset to Factory Defaults" in the system submenu of the Kindle, and press Enter. (3) Press the arrow to navigate to "OK" of the Cancel-OK prompt which appears in the popup window for Reset to Factory Defaults, but do not press Enter yet. (4) Remove the new screen and re-connect the original broken screen; you will now be running blind, but you know that the Kindle is poised to reset with the pressing of the enter key. After the old screen is re-attached, go ahead and press Enter. (5) The Kindle will now reset to factory defaults, (hopefully) accessing the eprom chip on the ribbon cable of the old broken screen and loading the good waveform that resides there. Since you cannot watch the progress of this reset, give the Kindle at least FIVE minutes to complete the process before unplugging the old screen and re-plugging the new screen. Then slide the power bar and take a look: your 'wireframe' pictures should now be restored to solid rich grayscale!

I have repaired hundreds of Kindles and followed this procedure with around a 90% success rate. Unfortunately I have had some units (all 3G) which persistently reset to a bad, or missing, waveform, but the process has worked most of the time. Due to those failures, however, I have built up an inventory of around 50 broken 3G screens so that I can keep trying to find one to boot to which the subject Kindle will successfully read.

By the way, you should follow this procedure only after upgrading to 3.4 OS, since a later system upgrade (with a replacement screen installed) can again lead to a 'bad waveform' problem.

Good luck!
Sir, you are officially my hero!

Your method worked perfectly, thank you, for sharing this to me!
Zirowe is offline   Reply With Quote