View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #134
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What does "paring" mean? Like paring knife, you cut it?
Sorry it took me so long to respond. "Pared" was actually someone else's word. What I had said was that I took an exacto blade and shaved down the tiny lip inside one of the corners. However, "pared" might actually be a better choice of words. In this case, though, the definition "outer coating" or "layer" doesn't apply.

For those of you who cook...if you've ever pared down the raised spine of a cabbage leaf, so the leaf would lie flat or be more pliable, you'll know what I'm talking about. The reason I used the word "shaved" is because the plastic is hard, so you'll literally have to shave it down a little at a time, much like a carpenter's plane.

If you look inside the corner, you'll see that the very top curls up and over. That's what grips the device. If the lip of just ONE corner is shaved down, the device becomes much easier to remove. As with all covers like this (including the official one) the key to removing it is popping off ONE corner first. Once the first corner is off, you'll be able to grip the device better (which is impossible with all corners snapped in) and the the other three will come off relatively easy.

There are TWO ways to do this. The easiest way is to shave the top of the corner down so that it's actually shorter than the other three. The disadvantage, of course, is that one corner will look slightly different than the other three. However, it's barely noticeable, especially when the device is in it.

The second way is a bit trickier, but has the advantage of being invisible. Instead of shaving down the height (top down), you'll shave the lip off from the inside outward, kinda like carving out a pumpkin. (just the lip, though)

One last tip. You'll want to do this to one of the BOTTOM corners...preferably the inner one (next to the hinge). The top corners won't work because the top edge covers the entire top of the device, therefore there's nothing to grab. The bottom edge has an opening in the center where you'll be able to grab to lift it out. The inner corner is less visible than the outer one, so it's a better choice in the event of accidental butchering
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote