Thread: Classic Nook with Pearl screen?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLessard View Post
However, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Nook will support the new Pearl screen anytime soon. If so, I will just wait. Anybody have any insight into this?

And while I (hopefully) have your attention, how are people finding the battery life on the Nook since the last firmware update? That's one other difference that worries me a little...Kindle 3 seems to fare much better according to the propaganda from Amazon.
Unless there's some B&N 'insider' here on MR, I don't think anyone will really know when the new nook will be coming out. I'm sure B&N want it to be a surprise, mainly because companies know that if they announce the pending arrival of a new device too soon, it causes sales of the current device to stagnate. Now that Amazon have updated their line-up, I think you can expect the nook with Pearl screen to be arriving in the not-too-distant future. Random guess? Some time in the fourth quarter.

As for the battery life - as others have said, my nook lasts 4-5 days as well. Wi-Fi on or off doesn't make a hell of a difference, to be honest. Even when I leave my Wi-Fi on, it seems to go off automatically after a period of non-use, so Airplane mode won't increase the life significantly. Compared to the Kindle, it's not even close. The Kindle's battery life easily trumps the nook's.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at ePub support? Do you plan on getting ebooks from your library? Because if you're just going to be buying books from online stores, the Kindle's format won't be a problem. Amazon.com have a pretty impressive collection of ebooks available, and the prices are usually at least as good (if not better) than B&N's.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote