View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #38
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Any super-secret-squirrel methods/keystrokes/menus to turn off the auto-complete for the search/replace fields? I could have sworn we (the forum) talked the devs into ditching that feature in one of the previous releases. Seems it's back. I'll learn to live it if I have to, of course, but it can literally drive me batsh!t crazy at times (not just with Sigil).

Or at least a way to delete a single botched expression from the history, so the auto-complete doesn't keep trying to get me to botch it again ... and again? Perhaps it's there and I'm just missing it (hope, hope, hope)?
There isn't currently a way, no. I must admit it is one thing that I had wondered about from time to time and I too was surprised to find it in the 0.5.9 code.

There are times where it can be great (like recalling a <h3>\1</h3> replace expression or similar). But there are other times where as you say what it recalls is not the one you want.

I think the only way autocompletion would keep everyone happy would be if the dropdown filtered itself in response to what you typed and dropped down, so the user had to actually hit the down arrow keys to select an entry. Rather than automatically just choosing the first recent match which as you say if not actually relevant to your action becomes really annoying to keep hitting backspace to clear.

I'll put it on our list to take a look at. It could be simpler to just turn autocompletion off completely.