View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #66
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I went with a netbook because I decided to stay with SD level video (which it could handle). On a small screen (8.9 inches or less), I didn't feel HD was worth the extra processing costs. (And SD level video takes less space on my SD chips.) But that's to individual taste....
Yep, just a matter of what you need. Netbooks I've tried couldn't handle ESPN360 for streaming sports (and that's not HD), Hulu, the network site, Netflix instant watch etc. And I use that stuff a ton on my laptop.

Quote:
And yes, I would like a reader capable of color, and SD level video, (and WAV file or FLAC playback while I'm at it), but those are secondary features. I won't give up a bistable (ultra-low energy) screen to get them....
Yep, I'll not give it up either, and keep my Kindle for leisure reading. For me a tablet will be a work device (marking up PDFs, PDA etc.), with secondary use for web browsing, e-mail, video etc.--not really a reader per se specifically.

Plenty of room for both dedicated readers and tablets in the market--and in my house/office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
You need to not only read for pleasure. You need to read a lot, be an "early adopter", and have the spare disposable income not already spent on an iPod, iPhone, big screen TV or the like.

What percentage of the total reading for pleasure population do you suppose this describes? If you think it's a majority, I'd love to know why.
Agreed. Right now e-readers are for those who read a LOT and are comfortable moving to e-books. Kind of a niche with in a niche (especially in younger generations). But a fairly sizable niche never the less.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote