Thread: Literary Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #25
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I found that, to be able to discuss this book, I had to read it twice. The first time I was disgusted at the insight in the mind of a phaedophile.
After having dealt with my disgust I could read the story 'sec', that is as an literary piece of work.

Some further thoughts on this book:
In trying to justify himself Humbert writes about his one sided (?) relationship with Dolores in an elegant style, sometimes intermixed with French words and references to famous French writers of the 19th century; Flaubert and de Chateaubriand (p.313 dig.ed.). It is as if he tries to give his story a kind of cultural justification or a refinement, a 'savoir vivre', 'men of the world'. He appeals to a certain cultural snobbery of the reader.

Dolores mother didn't take enough care of her daughter and seemed to be jealous of her. She should have known and seen that Dolores was experimenting, with her sexuality and the power she could have over boys and men. As is normal for girls that age.
She should have seen that Humbert and her daughter were too close at times and should have talked to her daughter about these things.
When she read the diary and found out what Humbert wanted, I think she was angry at the disruption of her life, but not concerned for the safety of her daughter.

“The Haze woman, the big bitch, the old cat, the obnoxious mamma, the—the old stupid Haze is no longer your dupe. She has—she has …”
My fair accuser stopped, swallowing her venom and her tears. Whatever Humbert Humbert said—or attempted to say—is inessential. She went on:
“You’re a monster. You’re a detestable, abominable, criminal fraud. If you come near—I’ll scream out the window. Get back!”
Again, whatever H.H. murmured may be omitted, I think.
“I am leaving tonight. This is all yours. Only you’ll never, never see that miserable brat again. Get out of this room.”(p.209)

Further proof of this: when (after the dead of Charlotte)Humbert wants to buy clothes for Dolores and searches for her measurements:

" One of my guides in these matters was an anthropometric entry made by her mother on Lo’s twelfth birthday (the reader remembers that Know-Your-Child book). I had the feeling that Charlotte, moved by obscure motives of envy and dislike, had added an inch here, a pound there;" (p.236)

Last edited by desertblues; 02-16-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: grammar mostly.....
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote