View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorGreg View Post
Well, I'm a poor writer who can't afford an expert.
...snip...
Greg
Sorry, but otherwise the quote would be to long.

Anyway, you might want to talk to Hitch. She and her team creates very good quality books and is very pleasant to work with.

The result in ePUB can be better or at least of the same quality as on the Kindle. The trick is knowing what is and what isn't supported. There might be some small differences between readers, due to other rendering engines. Kindle only has one...

I can't really comment on the Nook, but I believe that one has the option to ignore the defined formatting in a book. No matter what you do there, but as soon as it is overruled by the reader, you lost it. No matter who you are. It might be that you can enforce still certain settings, but that would be either in the styles with the '!important!' setting or a special file that needs to be added to the ePUB (just like ADE can have). You should be able to see if this is the case when you encounter a book that does work as you would like.

There are no tricks with regards to embedded fonts that only the 'Big Six' know about. The mechanism is the same, only different fonts perhaps. Also, on iBooks you need to add a file in order to have font-embedding enabled.

Again, you can achieve the same of better results compared to the Kindle. The old Kindle format is a old format (which doesn't support font-embedding btw) and the new is just ePUB3 with another name.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote