View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #782
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One example of that I found the other day is cereals. I have a bowl of cornflakes every morning for breakfast. Nothing wrong with that - it's a reasonably healthy breakfast; when you read the box it tells you it has 180 calories in a 30g serving with 125ml of semi-skimmed milk. It suddenly occurred to me to wonder, however, how much 30g of cornflakes actually is, so I weighed it one morning - and it's about a third of the amount I'd normally been eating!
Early into my weight-loss program I purchased a can of 'cooking oil spray.' The information on the back said "20 calories per portion size." I figured this would be a great way to cut back. Then I discovered that the portion size was a 1/4 second spray. Even on a Teflon pan, eggs would stick with a 1/4 second spray. For a large frying pan, we needed to use a two-second spray when cooking any fish, meats, or poultry. 160 calories, rather than the 20 I had imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Snack on veggies, low calorie and most of us need more veggies in our diet any way. A single serving of Hummus is 80 calories and works nicely as a dip for carrots and peppers. I do like the snack packs for nuts and the like as well.
Hummus is a great low-cal food, as is babbaganoush (if you make it yourself, cutting down on the tahini.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I agree! Invaluable is a digital scale out on the counter. I, too, was unknowlingly eating triple or quadruple servings of healthy granola for breakfast.
Before going on a diet, I had been eating granola or muesli for breakfast often... without looking at the calories. Then I read somewhere that it was high and actually looked. I was eating 600 calories worth of cereal alone!

But actually cutting down on serving sizes has been the best help, along with exercise of course. Instead of two chicken breasts, I now eat a half of one. We slice them horizontally, and use a lot of strong seasonings, and it makes the half breast go a long way when served along side a head of steamed broccoli and scallions. Almost no calories in the veggies, but lots of flavor.

And this morning... the scale read... 78.0kg! Still going down, but not as quickly as before. Muscle mass is starting to replace fat.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote