View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm going to confess to getting very tired of all these "improvements" that only serve to make the selection process even more torturous. They don't seem necessary to me and even seem like stirring the drink for the sake of ongoing turmoil. 2012, the year of no changes, hasn't even started yet!

My understanding of the rules was that a selection had to be available as an ebook somewhere. Can't we just let it go at that? Those who care can check availability in their own country, rather than having nominators logging in and out of various sites around the world. Oops, not availabe in Vanuatu!

Moreover, while I know for some reading on their devices is a necessity, usually there's a pbook option (library, ILL, cheap second-hand copy) for the others when the ebook isn't available. People should be responsible enough to consider their options and vote accordingly. There are a lot of factors that go into making a choice in any case.

Ultimately, in any given month, I look at the winner and if a lot of people want to read something that doesn't work for me for any reason, I'll move on. There's always next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The reason Tom is adding the links is so that individual participants can see if an ebook version is available for them, ahead of time.

Plus, libraries can be mentioned until we are all blue in the face but they are not automatically a viable source. Not anymore. Black Rain is not available in my county..period! It would cost me $45 dollars to use the library at the next county over and/or $35 to join the Philadelphia Library (They don't even have Black Rain as an ebook so that would have been pointless).

In order for people to participate in a book club, they have to have access to the books if we want this to be both fun and successful.
I'm not going to insist that everyone do a check before they nominate a book, but the addition information in the new spoiler at the end of the second post of the nominating thread will contain non-US bookstore links so that individual participants can see if an ebook version is available in their country, as Nyssa said. In addition, should those members make me aware that a particular book isn't available in their country, I'll note it in the second post right beside the Inkmesh search. The whole purpose is to make things easier for everyone, not harder.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote