View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
tahunasky
tahunasky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
Mine was frozen, wouldnt charge, then when it did kind of start working, sceen was not fully displayed - lines on screen as if only every second line was showing, then it started showing weird paterns on the screen. When i connected USB wouldnt charge, but i could access the flash memory to copy books etc. I had done a soft reset several times, and tried to do a hard reset, nothing helped..

I contacted sony, who said to send in for exchange, but it was a week before i finally got around to packaging it up, and i decided to copy off all the books/notes etc i had on the ereader. Plugged in the USB cable, flash drives showed up like usual, but still no "CHARGING BATTERY" message like there should be. Then after a couple of minutes the "CHARGING BATTERY" messages came on the screen.
I did a soft reset, booted again, got to the home screen, still not all pixels showing, and the application screen was stuffed up.
After a couple of more on/offs its been working pretty much ok for the last few days.. Only problem i have had is if i turn the ereader off properly (not standby mode) and then turn on again, leave for a few hours or overnight, the "LOADING BOOK" screen is still not 100% ok.

Have now updated firmware so hopefully that will help.

I talked to sony in Australia when i first had problems, and was very interested to hear the girl tell me that they "have had lots of problems with the PRS-650".
From my experience with sony support in the Sates, they are useless, i was passed around different people, they would ask for info on the problem, receipt, screen shots etc, and then email me back saying, you have to connect this person/dept - and so i would have to the next person/dept the problem, send copy of receipt etc, and then they would say you have to contact this person/dept....... instead of doing the more normal/logical thing or forwarding on my email to the correct person/dept.

I very much doubt if i will purchase another sony product after my latest experience.

Will also teach me for buying a JUST RELEASED product.

See pics of what my problems are like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony reader_screen capture_1.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	68486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony reader_screen capture_2.JPG
Views:	680
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	68487  
tahunasky is offline   Reply With Quote