View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Like I said before, many publishers aren't letting you actually download anything. You pay for a subscription to access the content on a website. Not something you can really back up. Even if you do, since in my experience most textbook publishers have time limits of some sort, what good is backing up going to do if after 6 months the DRM locks you out?
That model isn't locked in stone. If digital texts become more ubiquitous, there may be new sales models on which they are based, or new rules and regulations under which they are handled, archived and accessed. Remember, for this to work, students, their parents (who will pay for it) and their congresspeople (whose votes may depend on satisfying their constituents) will have a say in the process... or students will go elsewhere, and the schools will know that the model must be fixed.

And I've heard it said that any DRM can be broken.

I'm just not going to assume the textbook industry will be given free rein to run roughshod over the people.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote