View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #57
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
I guessed that too. I found a blog entry (section "Special features") from a Frankfurt Book Fair 2011 visitor, where it says, that PocketBook plans to bring out a color ereader this summer.

Somewhere you are right. I can't wait, but I also don't want to be a beta tester, especially for Onyx. I guess they have no quality assurance/regression testing, because instead of fixing old bugs they produce(d) new ones.

Considering the software part, I think PocketBook is further. I don't really want to know, how outdated the M92 would become, when Onyx gets to the point, where PocketBook is now with its 9xx models considering PocketBook's firmware. Onyx has a device with very good hardware, but can't really exploit its full potential with their firmware. Book managing (organizing, favorits, ...) is rudimentary on the M92, translating and menu navigation are cumbersome, all M92 can do at the best so far is displaying pages.
A new, faster (not necessarily color) ereader from PocketBook will overtop Onyx.
When you remember just one year ago as PB started to sell his new 6xx/9xx devices there was a big groaning here about quality issues of their software. About 15% of sold ereaders was returned by customers (which is huge amount). The PB was almost broken, down and out..
If you are comparing the software of PB and onyx you are comparing the last just one month ago published version of PB FW 1.1.2 and the very first version of Onyx.
Just let them time and I am sure the guys of Onyx will do it. Onyx is definitely working faster, is more flexible and it is more pleasant to cooperate and communicate with onyx as with PB, especially in the last three month (my expirience in communications and collaboration with PB is more than two years).
The ratio of sold devices of both brands is currently 1:10 (PB:Onyx). The most customers prefer obviously to buy a Onyx device. And return rates are currently 6% PB and 2% Onyx.
So you can make your conclusions...

I am very optimistic about future of Onyx and will try to help them (also with your support guys) to make better devices and software.
Onyx is a smaller company, but every business starts once as a small company (even Microsoft or Apple or Facebook). The true is "Viam supervadet vadens"
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote