View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
In the Cybooks you can use smaller font sizes. I set font sizes lower than 100% for things like smallprint, superscripts, captions... and they appear smaller in the Cybook. Maybe, if I set the base font size to the smallest possible that won't be the case, but I always use the 3rd smallest size at least
Can the reader chose to go smaller? I'm just used to my 505 in which the book opens at the 'S' zoom level and you can make the text larger, but not smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
In the first try I did not set the body font size, I used the default of the reader. In the 2nd try, I set the base font to 1em. And with the 3rd try, I set it to 20 px.

The results: First of all: like I expected, setting no base fontsize gave the same result like setting it to 1em. The text was awfull small. I wear glasses (but the last time I had my eyes checked was less then 6months ago). I could read the text (but it wasn't easy), but I know someone like my 65 year old father would have needed a looking glass (or the zoom buttons on the Bebook)

Then I looked at some full lines with no intend (just to add: the text was justified, but contains no long words on this lines). The first line had like 87 characters, the next that I tried was 82.
When I zoomed in 1 level, it looked much better and I had around 64 characters on a line.

So I looked at the 3rd test, the one with base font set to 20px. The font size itself was much better, about 2-2.5 milimeters high. I also looked at some lines: The first one had 70 characters, the next one had 66.

I don't know, but for me, it seems as if I should use something like 20-22 (or maybe even 24) px as font size for my device.
However, if I use a different device ... oh man, everything is so complicated ...
Ouch, sounds like the Bebook is definitely using a default font size that's far too small. I just checked on my Sony 505, and text at 100% is slightly bigger than 20px and slightly smaller than 22px (so I'm guessing it's 21px).

This is certainly a complication. Specifying the base font size in % rests on the assumption that the device manufacturer has encoded the default as the smallest size that's comfortable for extended reading by someone with good vision. If some manufacturers are not setting up their machines properly, then it might be better to use px instead so that the user isn't having to fiddle with the zoom. The problem is that using px will definitely break in the future when we finally get devices with higher resolutions. For your current needs 20-22px sounds like the best option right now.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote