View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #33
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

The problem is you can not see what role that the Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq plays? Is he an author? Is he a contributor?
Shouldn't matter. I see it as information about how to sort the name no matter what role you find it in. Let's say you have the following in your <head>:

Code:
Author
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator.aut" content="Dr. First Middle LastName, Esq." />

Illustrator
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator.ill" content="Dr. Foist Myrtle LostName, M.D." />

Proofreader
<meta name="DCTERMS.contributor.pfr" content="Herr Doktor Fear St. Muddle Las Nymen" />

Editor
<meta name="DCTERMS.contributor.edt" content="Prof. F. M. Lass-Gnome" />

Cover Designer
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator.cvr" content="Dr. First Middle LastName, Esq." />
And you also have what I suggested above:

Code:
<meta name="Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq." scheme="FileAs" content="Lastname, First Middle" />
Then you have the file-as attribute for the first and last -- the author and the cover designer (who either have exactly the same name or are the same person) because they are the only ones that match. It's basically metadata about metadata.

Quote:
How about the following instead:

<meta name="DC.creator.aut" scheme="FileAs:Lastname, First Middle" content="Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq." />

I know this is not DC spec but it could be used to create ePub spec which is what is important here.

Checking for scheme on creator and contributor and searching that string for FielAs: and removing that prefix could be easily done.

But this would have to be Valloric's call.
Hmm... He's already parsing for inverted names. I assume that what you're proposing is sort of sneaking in a second content field?

Is it valid XHTML? And I'm not sure that we should break the DCTERMS spec -- at least where terms that occur in the spec are concerned. Anywhere else is fine.

Isn't it fun being a dork on New Year's Eve?

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote