View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
The problem is trying to figure out what format fits our needs the best. Mobipocket is good, but it's too big to fit on a single file.

HTML works well, but there's no way to search without a web server.

A web server/mysql solution is too slow on the iLiad's hardware.

A custom pearl scripted solution doesn't provide a front end to search...

If there was an easy way to get it on the iLiad in a workable fashion, I'd be all for it (I have a quad core computer at home, I'd be glad to do any processing work). The problem is finding the best solution to this problem.
Using the perl script idea we could use the manifest file and description field for entry. Here's the scenario:

We have a contentlister entry to run wikipedia. The user edits the description to say "iliad" (or whatever) using the iliad's built-in label editing facility, clicks on the entry and the script reads the description and uses that for input to the script. It then either creates a custom web page with the list of matches and fires up minimo for the user to select the result, or creates a contentlister entry for each result.

It's would be a bit of a nasty hack, but is also a very quick way to get it working so we can test how usable it is, see what we might need to do to get it looking nice etc, while someone creates a GUI. I'd do it, but I just don't get perl. I had a bad experience with it when I was younger and no amount of therapy seems to help.

Last edited by daudi; 04-04-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Clarified editing the description
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote