View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Reader with good grayscale support

I've recently made an ePub which has some paragraphs with a light grey background. No problems on my Sony PRS-300 but the background appeared white on a Kindle PW, (converted to azw3 with calibre and checked the result using kindlegen - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202207).

I'd like a faster ePub reader than my Sony, ideally with touchscreen and good collections management, but now I have another requirement: the ability to render grey paragraph backgrounds!

(I also want to make sure that ePubs I post to MR work as intended on as many readers as possible.)

Attached is a simple test ePub with various shades of grey. (It's deliberately a 2-page document to force a white 'cleaning' page before the actual tests.)

On Sony PRS-300, ADE, calibre reader and Firefox all the 8 shades show up differently. The Sony has to mix its limited shades so some appear 'smooth' and others a bit 'grainy' but all are different.

On Kindle PW White and Grey 1 are both rendered as white.
Greys 2 to 5 are light grey but all the same as each other.
Greys 6 and 7 are the same as each other but darker than 2 to 5.

On Pez (Hanlin V5) there are no stripes at all. (See above thread).

If anyone would like to test this on other readers and post their results then I would appreciaite it.
Attached Files
File Type: epub GreyScale.epub (2.4 KB, 204 views)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote