View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I'll just add my points below the questions:

1.E-ink type, no LED
There are several to choose from, see this matrix in the Wiki

2.Ability to read most freeware book types along with at least one major pay-per book type, compatibility is huge
This one limits you to Sony Reader, Cybook, BeBook/Hanlin V3, iREx iLiad or Digital Reader, and Kindle I believe. Sony has it's own store for pay eBooks, the Kindle has the Amazon store, and the others have Mobipocket support. You can read 'multiformat' eBooks on all of them.

3.Large (>2GB's) or expandable memory
Most come with a decent amount of internal memory and they all take some kind of expansion card, except the Kindle 2 which does not allow for any memory expansion. The Cybook can only take up to a 2GB SD card. Are you planning to put on Music or Audiobooks? If not, I'm not sure why you would need so much room. I have over 400 eBooks on an SD card and I'm using less than 300 MB.

4.Size of a paperback or bigger
Any of the 6" eInk eBook Readers are this size, the Iliad is larger with an 8.1" screen and the Digital Reader has a 10.2"

5.Rechargeable battery
As far as I know all of the eBook Readers use rechargable batteries.

Pluses:

1.Reads Italian
If the eBook is availble in Italian, I think any of the eBook Readers would be able to handle it. (correct me if I'm wrong!) As far as I can see, only the Cybook supports Italian for menu options.

2.Selecting a word can give the definition
As far as I know, the Kindle, iRex eBook Readers, and Cybook are the only eBook Readers which have the ability to look up a word in the dictionary while reading. The Kindle comes with 1 dictionary loaded whereas the Cybook will recognize any Mobipocket dictionary that is loaded.

3.That definition gives the history/roots of the word like in a good dictionary
This depends on which dictionary is loaded/provided for lookup

4.Reads PDF's, HTML and other non-book formats
I'm not sure what you mean by 'non-book formats' however for PDF & HTML all of the eBook readers will attempt to open the files with varying degrees of success based on their programming. PDF can be hard to read on a 6" screen depending on original size of PDF in question and if there are any detailed pictures/charts/diagrams to be viewd. HTML is not well supported on the Cybook which can not link to an outside page, however HTML documents can be converted to Mobipocket with free software.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote