View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I'd like to see Apple produce an aggregator that will edit an epub for $5.00 and not charge a percentage of sales. That's a laughable claim.

If your children's books are a) fixed-format, image-only (so, for example, you had a bunch of jpegs and put them one after another in an epub), Apple will reject it; b) if you have the WORD Kindle or Nook in your book, Apple will reject it; c) if you have a bookcredit line, or a link to a publisher or your own author page, Apple will reject it...OR, here's my favorite: if Apple just does not think your book is "good enough," or high-quality enough for its iBookstore--in other words, they just don't LIKE it, they'll reject it, time after time after time, until they wear you down. I'm not saying that's what is going on with you; but I have a client who persists in doing his own cover design, and at the end of the day, the books look crappy. Apple came up with a *list* of ridiculous excuses, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that his book is just not good enough-LOOKING, that his table images weren't "cool" enough and his cover just didn't cut it in Apple's iBookstore...so I told him to blow off the Aggregator (who was getting $50/pop intake fee plus 5% of sales) and just sell his epubs on Nook and Goog.

I realize that with kids' books it's a whole other thing...but I have stopped taking children's books precisely because they aren't selling well enough, even on iBooks, to warrant what I have to charge to make them to Apple's new fixed-layout specifications. I know no childrens' book author wants to hear that...but Apple is such a tiny, tiny, TINY percentage of ebook sales that I don't feel right taking childrens' books authors' money. I can, if you want to PM me, refer you to someone who does do fixed-layout children's books by preference; but I do not know what he charges.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote