View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But once you reach the "casual purchase" price you probably won't sell more by lowering the price further. That price probably varies with the individual, but for me it's probably about £3-4. I won't give a second thought to paying £3 for a book, and I'd be no more likely to buy it if it cost £1 or even 10p. At that price it's the book description that makes me decide whether or not I want to but it, not the price of the book.
(Assuming Amazon for a moment)
At £3 I'd hit download sample rather than buy.
Below £1 I'd probably just buy if I thought I might be interested, as it saves having to come back later to buy after reading the sample.
I bought all three Stieg Larsson's on impluse, at ~£2.50 each, but they have a lot more name recognition, I wouldn't have done that for an unknown book.
(Now the App store)
If I see a game recommended somewhere, and it is 99c/59p, I'll buy it straight away, above that I'll think about it for a bit. Essentially they have reached a price where I'd rather spend 59p and find out for myself whether I like it that bother hunting up lots of reviews to try and work out whether I would.

Purchasing has become so easy, and instantaneous, that I think the impulse buy is a far more significant portion of sales than it used to be, and again when trading off time/cost, I can simple buy the book and see if I like it, rather than research it.

The figures fit in roughly with my secondhand-bookshop-paperback-browsing, for a genre I like I'd probably buy below £2 without much thought, I'd buy between £2 and £3 if it a was a book in a series I was collecting, and I probably wouldn't buy above £3 unless it was something I'd really been looking for, I'd wait and try to find it cheaper another day. I'm not inclined to pay more for an eBook than I would for a secondhand paperback.

[Edit: Any way you slice it, whatever the 'casual price' barrier is, it is a lot less than the current $10 standard US price for eBooks]

Last edited by murraypaul; 09-18-2010 at 07:35 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote