View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And we get back to the complaint by some that their sideloaded books do not sync across multiple devices, that annotations and current reading position do not sync, etc.
I was just replying to a post from Sharkus asking why one wouldn't want to sync.

Quote:
But it's an improvement... even when it isn't.
Haha! I still want my back button back.

Quote:
How is Kobo to tell which device is used by which person if you use the same account for each one? One solution was to generate separate accounts for for your children. With no credit card tied to the account, it also keeps you from worrying about their purchasing books without a parent around.
Seems a bit cumbersome to me, I would prefer to sync when I want to if I do indeed ever want to.

I know I could purchase books as gifts to them, or download the books and sideload them, but again why the necessity of multple accounts/passwords etc.

Quote:
You can always turn off WiFi on your Kobo and never use the desktop application, use Calibre or just copying files to manage your library, purchase all books from Kobo or other bookstores as epubs to be sideloaded and not have that worry about synchronization. It is an explicit request in a way since on your ereader you have to hit sync or use the desktop application to synchronize your books and information

Regards,
David
I've never turned on WiFi and the Desktop application seems to do it whether you want it to or not. Why one wonders. Is it to Kobo's advantage to make you use the WiFi version. I don't think so.

I do use calibre and have been for about three years It is IMO pretty awesome.

I personally don't care if Kobo knows what I am reading or how long I am reading etc. I don't think they are going to show up in Ninja robes at my doorstep or anything similiar.

I do care that they are arbitrary in the matter of doing what they want without my express permission, and AFAIK connecting to the desktop application does not give them my express permission, even though you say it does. Probably I missed the disclaimer?

I also think that the implied assumption that the majority of readers are incapable of redownloading their books or requesting an update is a tad patronizing.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote