Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #293
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
Maybe someone should make a script to do this. (I think something interactive like the [crappy] one I wrote, to bad dd does not have a verbose mode.... ) That way when someone with a 5.1.1 kindle is willing to do it they just have run it and upload the files. (We could even make a gui launcher for it so they don't need to use xterm or the like.) I would do it (following what you guys have said.) but I think it would turn out really bad. (I only know what I have learned first hand.) What do you guys think? Also maybe we should open up a new thread because this is getting a little .
The problem with these "user-friendly" approaches is that in order for the user to execute them, they will already need to have a modified device. In other words: we will never get completely pristine images using such methods.

Anyway, I guess that at least having something is better than not having anything at all, so I quickly wrote something user-friendly. It's not beautiful, and the code is quick and dirty, but it works. Tested and working on 5.1.0 (note: the extractions may take quite some time, i.e., more than 10 minutes for the main partition).

Requirements:
Installation: unzip the attachment, then copy the .azw2 to the documents folder of the device, then run it. It will produce the following files on the device:
  • mmcblk0p1.img.gz : main partition image
  • mmcblk0p2.img.gz : diags partition image
  • main_kernel.img and diags_kernel.img: kernels

Again, I know that this is not the best solution, but maybe it will finally convince someone with 5.1.1 firmware to make those images available to us.

Edit: There was a serious bug in version 1.0.0 which caused the tool to dump unusable kernels under certain circumstances ( full story here). Version 1.0.1 (now attached here) fixes this bug.
Attached Files
File Type: zip imgextract.zip (36.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: zip imgextract-src.zip (34.5 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 08-06-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Version 1.0.1
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote