View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
May not be valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't. I use my Kindle Fire for reading only. I know how long my battery lasts. There is no need to check anything. I read from 3AM to 6AM nightly. I only charge the Fire every four days when it finally hits 25% or below. It hard to get it to even that I have to leave WiFi on for a few hours sometimes to drain it. I can go over a week in standby if I don't use it but I am so addicted to the KF that only happened once or twice. I think the battery would last longer if I didn't have to clear the Kindle data app twice every charge to get the pdoc covers to show up.
I know that takes alot of battery.
Just using a reading segment of 6 hours for the KF1G may not be a valid way to measure battery energy time. I found that with the PW I had many interruptions during 4 to 5 hour reading segments since I accurately recorded reading SESSIONS rather than use reading segments.

I found a 4 to 5 hour reading segment only involved about 2 hours of reading sessions or less. I recorded them on a spreadsheet showing starting time, ending time and session time. My average reading session was about 23 minutes and for the PW came to about 10 hours and 29 minutes for the cycle until the Battery Meter showed very near to empty.

There were always interruptions for bathroom breaks, answering telephone calls, walking the dog, answering the door, speaking to the spouse or just walking to a different room for another task.

That is why for the KF1G and KFHD the GSam Monitor Screen Time read at the end of a cycle just before the full charge starts should be used.

Using stated reading segments of 6 hours is simply not a valid way to measure Screen Time. The GSam Monitor measures it EXACTLY for the Fire.

If you insist on using reading segment time, then turn off Shutoff time in the Settings completely and just let the Fire Screen burn continuously for 6 hours. You will see the battery totally go dead about then. The Fire Screen, itself, uses more of the battery energy than any other app or process.

In my current battery cycle at 18% charge remaining:

Screen=5 hours and 20 minutes=45.9% of energy expended
WiFi=96 hours and 44 minutes=16.2%
Held Awake=1 hour and 35 minutes=10.6%
App Usage=27.3%

For Apps:
System=4.5%
Media=4.2%
System (sdcard)=3.5%
Kernel=3.5%
System (wakelock)=1.8%
Bible=1.7%
Amazon Device Client Platform=1.3%
Amazon Kindle (eReading)=1.2%
Amazon MP3=1.0%
All the rest were less than 1% each.

As you can see eReading on the KFHD7-32 uses an almost negligible amount of battery energy. That contrasts with the PW where Screen Time and eReading are the main users of energy and it is highly probable that even there Screen Time uses over 90% of the energy expended. Since there is no Battery Monitor for the Paperwhite, there is no way to accurately measure that item.

I've reduced my Shutoff Time for both the PW and KFHD7-32 from the default 5 minutes to 15 minutes since I didn't like starting it up so often when I was distracted for 5 minutes. I preferred burning the battery for a little more energy then expending my own energy.

I would expect the PW battery to last longer than the KF battery since the latter expends vastly more energy for the screen to just light up and has so many other non-reading functions.

I just started a full charge from the 14% level and my GSam screen shows it will take 5 hours and 2 minutes.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-01-2012 at 11:23 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote