View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
This may not work for everyone, since in the User CP, you can set your own "Number of Posts to Show Per Page". So a post that shows up on page 7 for you, may show up on page 3 or page 14 for someone else.

So you have to link to posts, not thread pages, if you want the links to work. Also consider that threads may be split or merged, posts moved, and only links that contain the post id itself will keep working then.
Ah. I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing it up. It occurred to me that it could be broken by global changes in the forum system (and I think I stated that it was unreliable) but I was not aware that it could so easily be broken.

So there is no way to link to a specific thread and post at the same time then? E.g., if I wanted to send a link to a colleague I would have to link to the thread itself, or to just one specific post?

I ask because the link
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145808&page=3#post_message_1697211
takes the user to the specific post but allows scrolling up and down in the thread if the user want to see the context for the post.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote