View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #29
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Okay. I have to ask. How do you advance the plot in a sex scene? Over and beyond a fade to black.

Bob emerged from under the sheets, face slick from her love. "You won't believe this, Mary, but while I was down there I found a CLUE!"
Obviously a sex scene can contain crucial character development & relationship information. (I would hope that doesn't need justification, that most people can understand that an incredibly intimate act can reveal important character details.)

Actual plot: other than the case of one character noticing something important about the other ("I see you're missing a patch of hair on the back of your head, where the victim grabbed you!"), it can matter to later plot developments. One character could later be distracted, or paying extra attention to how jackets fit, or aware of how crowded a room would be with three people in it, or thinking about jewelry, because of the events in a sexual encounter. It's no more or less likely to affect plot than "main character took detour to supermarket; noticed quite a few green Subarus in this neighborhood, later realized where the killer escaped to."

Some people come out of sex confused and muddled. Some come out of it refocused and sharp. Either of those details can be relevant to the plot. A marathon session that leaves the main character tired and hungry might lead to a trip across town to the only diner open at that hour, where they might catch a view of the person they're chasing. Or they might be so caught up in sex they miss a crucial appointment. And so on. Sex-as-plot-device is just as reasonable a concept as job-as-plot-device or kids-as-plot-device or news-story-as-plot device.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote