View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #151
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But why can they not selectively choose not to read a thread? I do not get it why people would like to opt out.
Never said it was a rational thing to do - just that that's what people do. Go figure - I don't get it either. Actually, that's not true. I think I can see at least one reason (again, it's not really rational and I have been guilty of it myself) why one can't simply ignore a thread (especially if it has a provocative title). We've been taught to not simply stand aside and let "the big lie" go unchallenged because when it is, more people get fooled into believing it and it grows.

Simply put, this move by the mods lets those who feel this urge save themselves from turning what would otherwise be a pleasant hour spent talking about ebooks into a colossal waste of time. Think of it as an extra buffer for those who are easily suckered into what looks like an argument but is nothing of the sort and usually ends without catharsis. As someone who's fallen for this recently (ironically, not in a religio-political context ), I can sympathize.